Monday, April 18, 2011


Beautyof the Truth 
 
by Thomas Storck

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know. - Keats, "Ode on a Grecian Urn"

As the good denotes that toward which the appetite tends, so the true denotes that toward which the intellect tends. - Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologiae


When I converted to the Catholic faith early in 1978 at the age of 27 I was motivated by only one thing: my conviction that Catholicism was true, that Catholicism's account of reality was in fact the way things really are. But long before that date, when I did not yet believe that the Catholic religion was true, I found myself increasingly attracted by the beauty of the Faith. And though I would never urge anyone to become a Catholic simply because of the beauty of the Faith or of Catholic life, nevertheless I am still convinced that not only is the Faith true but that it is compellingly attractive and beautiful, even exciting. Moreover, I think that the beauties of the Faith are not merely accidents, but are close to the heart of what God has done for us.

Though I had little contact with Catholics or Catholic things while I was a boy, my father's library did contain a few important Catholic books. These included part of Aquinas's Summa contra Gentiles, Chesterton's The Everlasting Man, Ronald Knox's The Belief of Catholics and the Baltimore Catechism. As I was growing up I read some of these books and parts of the others. And two things about the Catholic Church gradually impressed themselves on my mind.

The first was the fondness of Catholicism for clear thinking. Distinctions were distinctions. If A was A, then, dammit, A was not B. If something was proved true, then it was true, whatever we felt about it. In contrast I found most of the other religious ideas I encountered, either in people or in other books, mushy and vague. (I exempt C. S. Lewis from this charge.) But though it is easy to see how I became aware of the tight logic and clear distinctions of the Catholic mind, I am less clear on the second thing. Indeed, I am not sure I can even define or name it very well. But I must try, for I think it is one of the most salient features about Catholicism, and something that ought to be attractive, especially to those of my generation...Read it all
_______

Filling the Gap

By Allison Backous

Our family’s kitchen table was my mother’s “sitting spot,” where she piled ashtrays next to the mail and sipped her coffee before the day began. Growing up, I often spent my mornings sitting next to her, listening to the details of her life, her understanding of why everything happened the way that it did. She often cried, her round face wet with tears.

“I never knew my mother,” she would weep, her throat clogging with a raw sob. “And I’ll never know—because I didn’t have a mom—how to do the right things.”

In the dull spread of sun and cigarette smoke, I heard my mother’s account of her painful childhood, her estranged mother, the daily liturgy of her memories.

And, over the past decade, I have been fashioning my own string of memories, phrases, words that acknowledge my mother’s place and hold on my life...More

--->The Fateful Hoaxing of Margaret Mead...

--->ForeclosureGate Deal – The Mandatory Cover Up. The Times noted that twelve million homes will be lost by 2012. Home equity values are down by $5.6 trillion since the real estate crash. The draft...

Neither do I condemn you...go and sin no moreOn The Sermon on the Mount: Why is it, I read someone asking, that so much of the Sermon on the Mount is treated as though its beatitudes and spiritual prescriptions are unattainable and impractical? Think of the matter of wars, think of not judging others while upholding the Truth; think of the warnings against greed and exploitation and self-righteousness; think of His calling for simplicity, even voluntary poverty and generosity towards all neighbors...But "Now as in days gone by," this person wrote, "the chief sins of humanity are reduced [by some] to the bedroom and not the battlefields," as if those sins, often sins of weakness and deliberate decadent cultural conditioning (click) when committed by ordinary people, were the only serious practical sins one should be most ashamed of and confess. Are we not out of all balance in that? And yet Jesus, the Master and Suffering Servant of Israel (click), unlike so many of the Pharisees, was not so. His Woes (click) did not target the weak but the strong and powerful, the truly wicked...

Blogger profile

Note: At the very bottom of each and every page while following threads / labels click "Older Posts" in order to view previous posts. Reminder: Print out or download whatever you find helpful.

--->Update Advent 2012. Since the previous URL for this blog expired, the blog itself (unbeknownst to me) sunk also (also unbeknownst to me). So I was forced to revert to the original URL seen now above. The same with the other blog at https://cultureevents.blogspot.com/ where I said and repeat now here:

When I looked at my
half-baked stumbling life over the past decades I sometimes think it is absurd to call myself a Christian at all. Yet, despite being a sinner and ever a penitent, I know an even more absurd reality which I could never overlook or deny, namely the obvious lies told to us by the increasingly nihilist media and academia which not only wallow in sin, and constantly urges it on others, especially the young, but which even denies the existence of sin at all.

This is the greatest absurdity, to justify one's crimes by denying the existence of them. 51,000,000 babies butchered since 1973 in this country and the powerful are raising glasses and congratulating themselves? This is all the fruit of madness, the madness of rejecting our Maker and Redeemer who has revealed Himself and the 'why' of creation, in history, in His Word, and in every human conscience. What a shock poor smirking rebels have coming - if we do not turn around. Meanwhile take the meat an leave the bones here an elsewhere.

Malcolm Muggeridge was right when he said ours is not an "enlightened" time but rather a new Dark Ages wherein Christ will ever be the only true Light. And how He shines when it is darkest without.

It is never too early, too late or too much to ponder the message(s) of Alexander Solzhenitsyn (follow label "Solzhenitsyn" throughout at bottom of each post

3 comments:

  1. Given the fact that young people are daily bombarded with schizoid conflicting signals, both moral and intellectual, pitting ideologue teachers (centralized Dept. of Education bred) and "entertainment" against family values, is it any wonder bewildered parents are scrambling for this junk...(click 1)?

    We poisoned our world, our nature, and our culture. I beg any parent reading this who is being pressured to buy these dangerous drugs to conform your kid to the school system; don't! There is nothing healthy about conforming your children to a profoundly sick society such as ours.

    Detoxify your children. Unplug the TV forever! Get real food for your children instead of the artificially processed junk that is partly to blame for the mess we're in. Change the educational environment your child is in; perhaps even homeschool them.

    I know it's a sacrifice, but your goal and your happiness isn't in stuff, and isn't even in this world. It is in coming to know and love God, and each other as being in the image and likeness of God in three persons.

    You may not have much treasure in this world, but you'll have plenty stored where rust and moth cannot destroy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poets should poeticize, and writers should write, and old sailors great and small keep their salt 'til the last bell. How's that novella coming along? I am a thousand years old with waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stefan I miss your writing so much

    ReplyDelete