Sunday, March 6, 2011

How the Boston Rock Scene Grew Up, Got Real jobs, and Became --- Freemasons?

By EUGENIA WILLIAMSON | February 18, 2011
Boston Phoenix

The Masons of Amicable Lodge have tattoos curling out from under their button-down shirts. They wear giant rings and waist aprons that look like oversize satin envelopes. They wear ties and medals and amulets. They carry staffs. Each month, they gather to practice secret rituals in Porter Square.

Once, they played in Boston bands like Slapshot, Crash and Burn, Sam Black Church, Victory at Sea, the Men, and Cradle to the Grave. Back then, none of them would have dreamed of joining the Masons. Masonry — a fraternal society that dates back to the 1700s — has not, heretofore, been associated with rock and roll.

But people get older and settle down. They get married. They have kids. They get jobs. They join the Masons.

In a strange way, this seems like a logical next step for veterans of the Boston rock scene...Read it all

--->Hey, what's that ring Ringo is wearing...?

So, we must engage the Masons and others affected; because their families are suffering too under the weight of ideas gone wrong. Faithfully engaging is the only "New Evangelism" and neighborly way I know.

--->The Collapse of the Old Oil Order. How the Petroleum Age Will End...

The Failed, Yet Meaningful Event

A Hard Story From the Past and A Libertarian's Contradiction about the right to "assisted" suicide. In a moment I will link to a post from one of the men I admire most in the world, but first let me recall a man I used to visit in a tiny hole of a 1 & 1/2, almost bare, room / apartment in Milford, Massachusetts when my children were tiny. I had heard about this man from someone, and knew I must try to give him a little company each week or so. He could not have been 40 at the time and years earlier he had tried to blow his brains out, and failed. All he did was shoot off about half his face, and so was left horribly disfigured (far beyond the isolating disfigurement from leprosy depicted in the Mel Gibson's Braveheart film shown here), the left side of his face caved in and was mangled, and he hid away from the world. He had of course only one eye.

I was taken aback when I first saw him open the door a crack to see who was knocking, though I tried not to let him seem my shock. I told him about our mutual acquaintance and that I brought brought him a few things. I was a little surprised maybe that he let me in despite what must have been his self-consciousness. He still had (most of) his mouth and so could talk, but was mostly quiet as I blabbered. I told him I admired his courage and asked him if he had enough things and whether he was lonely. That kind of thing. He usually responded in few words, a stutter.

But let me make a long story short. This remarkable man, who lived alone, was glad he failed to die. He was glad to be alive and listening to his favorite songs again. How he loved those songs on the radio, and I could only wonder what emotions they evoked in him. And now that he was on medication he was no longer as depressed as he once was, though he had other problems, to be sure. We talked about pain, the meaning of life, the meaning of mistakes, Jesus of Nazareth.

I came to love this man and when it was time for us to move from Milford I knew it was him I would miss the most. He had no phone that I could access. I have often thought of him over the decades and should have returned to visit him at least annually. I am ashamed to to say I did not, and fear he might be gone now. Way led on to way as we raised our children. But I am still ashamed. He was glad to have missed, though it left him terribly handicapped. He was glad to have missed his shot, to have a second chance. He was glad to be able now to let God alone, not himself or any other person, much less a "doctor," "assist" him into the next world when the time came, as we all must. Now the link about the fear...

--->Linn Ullman's elegant, disappointing book...

--->The Telling Artwork and Ideas of "Dr. Death," Jack Kevorkian's Fascination...

--->Australia's First euthanasia clinic could open soon: Nitschke...

--->Disfigured 'Liberty': Northwestern Prof Hosts Live After-Class Sex Show (With Sex Toys)...

--->Obama, Calderon Lift U.S. Ban on Mexican Trucks, Retaliatory
Quotas...

--->Snared. Centre-right politicians currently dominate Europe's political map, Leaders welcomed their newest member, Irish Prime Minister-elect Enda Kenny, but were lukewarm towards his call for an immediate reduction in the interest rate charged on the Ireland's recent international loan...

--->Revisited: Russia awards 'order of parental glory' to prolific parents...rewarding fertility in an attempt to reverse a potentially disastrous demographic decline." Go, Christian, and do thou likewise...

"...the roots of modern apostasy lay in scientific atheism, dialectical materialism, rationalism, illuminism, laicism, and Freemasonry which is the mother of them all." ---Pope Pius XII, May 23, 1958 A.D

No comments:

Post a Comment