Saturday, February 12, 2011

Time Out: Andy Irvine



The Blacksmith (Moral: Watch out ladies)

A blacksmith courted me, nine months or better
He fairly won my heart, wrote me a letter
With his hammer in his hand, he looked quite clever
And if I were with my love, I would live forever

But, where is my love gone with his cheeks like roses
His good looks they're all gone, drowned with primroses
I'm afraid the scorching sun will shine and burn his beauty
And if I could win my love, I would do my duty

Strange news is come to town, strange news is carried
Sad news cried up and down, that my love is married
I wish them both much joy, though they can't hear me
And may God reward him well for the slighting of me

Oh do you remember when you lay beside me
You said you'd marry me and not deny me

If I said I'd marry you, 'twas only for to try you
So bring your witness, love, and I'll not deny you

Oh, witness have I none, save God Almighty
And may he reward you well for the slighting of me
Her cheeks grew pale and wan; made her poor heart did tremble
For to think she'd had one love, and he proved deceitful

No comments:

Post a Comment