Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"Engraved on My Heart"

"I was thinking the other day of how inadequately we pray. Often in saying the Our Father, I find myself saying by rote the first four lines and throwing my heart into the last, asking for bread and grace and forgiveness. This selfishness humiliates me so that I go back to the beginning again in order to give thanks. 'Hallowed be Thy Name. Thy Kingdom Come.' Often I say no other prayer.

"Now the creed to which I subscribe is like a battle cry, engraved on my heart–the Credo of the Holy Roman Catholic Church. Before, in those former times, I could say: ‘I shall sleep in the dust: and if thou seek me in the morning, I shall not be’ (Job 7:21). Now I can say: ‘I know that my Redeemer liveth and in the last day I shall rise out of the earth. And I shall be clothed again with my skin, and in my flesh I shall see God. Whom I myself shall see and my eyes shall behold, and not another: this my hope is laid up in my bosom’ (Job 19:25-27).

I had a conversation with John Spivak, the Communist writer, a few years ago and he said to me, ‘How can you believe? How can you believe in the Immaculate Conception, in the Virgin birth, in the Resurrection?’ I could only say that I believe in the Roman Catholic Church and all She teaches. I have accepted Her authority with my whole heart. At the same time I want to point out to you that we are taught to pray for final perseverance. We are taught that faith is a gift and sometimes I wonder why some have it and some do not. I feel my own unworthiness and can never be grateful enough to God for His gift of faith. St. Paul tells us that if we do not correspond to the graces we receive, they will be withdrawn. So I believe also that we should walk in fear, ‘work out our salvation in fear and trembling.’”

Dorothy Day, Mother Teresa"My criticism of Christians in the past, and it still holds good of too many of them, is that they in fact deny God and reject Him. ‘Amen I say to you, as long as you did it to one of these my least brethern, you did it to me’ (Matt. http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif25:40), Christ said, and today there are Christians who affront Christ in the Negro, in the poor Mexican, the Italian, yes, and the Jew. Catholics believe that man is the temple of the Holy Ghost, that he is made to the image and likeness of God. We believe that of Jew and Gentile. We believe that all men are members or potential members of the Mystical Body of Christ and since there is no time with God, we must so consider each man whether he is atheist, Jew or Christian.”---Dorothy Day, From Union Square to Rome

--->Jim Forest video: Dorothy Day: A Saint for Today's World? Watch video here...

Desolation Row. Praying For the Many Kinds of Victims: Anyone who has looked beyond the headlines knows that sex abuse is rampant in our nihilist time; it cuts across all religions (though this point is often hidden), professions, our schools, even to the highest levels of government and international organizations (Click for more on that). The media, anyone can see, is largely to blame for our nihilism; the decadence of its incessant programming, always appealing to man's most base passions while at the same time attacking family values from every angle, has reached fever pitch, and a once decent nation---indeed most of the West---has come to resemble the Caligulan court of ancient Rome. And even as the media promotes sexual nihilism 24x7, it cynically seeks to entrap those who succumb to its decadent lures; singling out some more than others according to an apparent agenda. It is sheer wickedness.

And what the government allows to happen, it ensures will happen. So the complicity of governments is all too clear. Decadence is coiled in the halls of power. Governments tax and profit from the programming which causes all the ruined lives.

But my point here is that instead of allowing the media to treat us all like Pavlov's dogs and getting us angry on cue only at sexual abusers, I think we need to have compassion for them too, and all who have fallen for the media's cynically constructed snares. In the light of all the decadent programming, think of all those whose lives have been wrecked; all those who have landed in jail, and the many, many millions of hidden ones who have died from AIDS or who suffer from other sexually transmitted diseases. Then think of all the existential loneliness, all the depression, divorce, lost children, addictions of every kind which seek to mask the inward trauma. The abusers are victims too. They have been lured into the quicksand of unnatural and promiscuous sexual desire and all of its consequences, lured by wicked men and women who promote sexual anarchy and a culture of vulgarity at every turn--- and who then take a perverse delight in punishing the entrapped.

Desolation Row. Belgium's Bountiful Harvest of Organs of Disabled People Killed Under Medical Supervision

From Michael Cook at Mercatornet, comes this newest development from Belgium. Apparently, some doctors in that country are so excited about this that they put together a powerpoint presentation about the practice at a national conference:

A group of Belgian doctors are harvesting “high quality” organs from patients who have been euthanased. This is not a secret project, but one which they described openly at a conference organised by the Belgian Royal Medical Academy in December...Read it all
Too, if you wish, hear the webcast with this advocate, Steven Drake of Not Dead yet HERE...

--->The War on the Disabled. Nancy Golin took a walk. It was a chilly November evening in 2001, and she walked all night. A lovely breeze had come up, and the moon hung low in the sky. When she returned the next morning, her life had changed...(click). "It may just be the 'final solution' to the baby-boomer problem. You are seeing a population that can be considered a drain on the entitlements? Medicare, Social Security, maybe a pension plan? all that money is saved if the person dies."

--->Wal-Mart offers makeup and anti-aging products for 8-year-olds...

Culture of Death: "While it is true that the taking of life not yet born or in its final stages is sometimes marked by a mistaken sense of altruism and human compassion it cannot be denied that such a culture of death, taken as a whole, betrays a completely individualistic concept of freedom, which ends up by becoming the freedom of "the strong" against the weak who have no choice but to submit". ---Evangelium Vitae / Gospel of Life Pope John Paul II, 1995

No comments:

Post a Comment