Thursday, December 2, 2010

St. Therese of Lisieux's Perfection

"Sometimes, when I read spiritual treatises, in which perfection is shown with a thousand obstacles in the way and a host of illusions round about it, my poor little mind soon grows weary, I close the learned book, which leaves my head splitting and my heart parched, and I take the Holy Scriptures. Then all seems luminous, a single word opens up infinite horizons to my soul, perfection seems easy.

"I see that it is enough to realize one's nothingness, and give oneself wholly, like a child, into the arms of the good God. Leaving to great souls, great minds, the fine books I cannot understand, I rejoice to be little because 'only children, and those who are like them, will be admitted to the heavenly banquet'."

"Love proves itself by deeds, so how am I to show my love? Great deeds are forbidden me. The only way I can prove my love is by scattering flowers and these flowers are every little sacrifice, every glance and word, and the doing of the least actions for love..."---St. Therese of Lisieux

Rosary Troubles: "It's a terrible thing to admit, but saying the Rosary takes it out of me more than any hair shirt ... Try as I will, I cannot meditate on the mysteries of the Rosary. I just cannot fix my mind on them" ---St. Therese of Lisieux, Story of a Soul

Note: Having noted her "hairshirt" experience with the Rosary, anyone who knows her life and writings knows how close St. Therese was to the Blessed Mother from beginning to end. Hers was a very ardent and inspiring love for Mary from first to last. She intensely trusted her very life and last illness to the prayers of the Mother of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment