Saturday, October 30, 2010

Like the Woman at the Well, She's Worked Hard to Heal and Heed...

at home with the CrossMia Farrow: 'My faith helps me through hard times'

The Independent, 2006: Mia Farrow tugs at the gold chain around her neck, revealing a pendant of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. "My father gave it to me when I was 12 and I never take it off. He died five years later," she says.

"If you're brought up a Catholic and you've had 13 years of convent education with nuns, there's no way you ever get out from under that. I've accepted that fact about myself so there are certain things - like my lost saint - that sometimes are not so lost."

And if ever anyone was in need of help, perpetual or otherwise, it was Farrow 14 years ago when faced with the devastating news that her then partner Woody Allen had fallen for her teenage adopted daughter Soon-Yi Previn, who would later become his wife.

"My faith has helped me through many difficult times. It made me understand what it is by that which cannot be taken away. The essential self that is yours and yours alone cannot be taken away. Only you can give it up.

"That said, things can be taken away and that can be painful. Loss is painful," concedes Farrow. Asked whether she has since forgiven Allen, she says: "In an instant. I can't carry any of that. That's too heavy for me. It really isn't up to me to forgive or not forgive, is it?" Remarkably, in such a small city as Manhattan, Farrow says that she hasn't once run into Allen - or his bride - since their rancorous split. "It's incredible, I know. But I've had the good fortune and that has never happened to me. No, thank God."

Just a few years ago, Farrow, 61, was quoted as expressing a desire for reconciliation with her daughter, now Soon-Yi Allen. Does she still feel the same way? "Well, I've got over it, you know. You can get over almost anything. You just can't go on mourning forever, and so I've moved on. It's been a long time now. And I really don't think of her as my daughter any more. I can't. She isn't. She's estranged - and strange."

Activism against Genocide. May 2009


Farrow was 21 when she married Frank Sinatra, a relationship that would last less than two years before she went on to marry the conductor André Previn; she later became involved with Allen in the early 1980s.The Allen-Farrow union produced a legacy of some 13 films including Broadway Danny Rose, Hannah and her Sisters, The Purple Rose of Cairo and Zelig, and though their love affair would ultimately end in tears, it also resulted in the source of much happiness for Farrow today in the shape of the couple's biological son...Ronan..."

--->Mia Farrow, shortly before, expressed anger with China and Mr. Obama on Darfur...

--->Fewer People Mean Less Government Cost: Planned Parenthood President...

No comments:

Post a Comment